|home | quick search | detailed search | pathfinders | projects | news | contact|
< 1 of 1 > Back
Pathfinder Pack on Urban Regeneration - More examples
Piershill tenement block contains 342 dwellings, built 1937-8. They were designed by Ebenezer MacRae (1881-1951), a city architect, who was famous for his regeneration and reinterpretation of Scots vernacular architecture.Built on the site of barrack blocks, they re-used the stone facings from the original buildings. They are a reinterpretation of the traditional tenement, a housing type more usually associated with the Nineteenth century. The stone-built tenements on Dewar Place, Edinburgh were built in 1940 also by Ebenezer MacRae. He was the City Superintendent of Public Works 1925-46. He led campaigns for more tenement housing and criticised the spread of cottages and bungalows in cities. The datestone, rough stonework and the ashlar-framed windows all suggest the architectural traditions of Scotland's past, especially the details found on the tower-houses. These design details suggest solidity and a sense of history in this block. Chessel's Court, Edinburgh was originally built in 1745 and consisted of a group of tenements around an open courtyard off the Canongate. By the 1940s, the area was in need of regeneration. The architect Robert Hurd was employed to design new blocks in conjunction with the restoration of the historic original buildings. This was completed between 1958 and 1966. Chessel's Court has been selected as one of Scotland's key Twentieth-century Modern architectural monuments. Castlemilk in Glasgow was an area which needed serious regeneration. It had been built after World War II, as a quick and reasonably cheap answer to the housing problem in the city. Like many similar post-war developments, its tenements were similar in plan to their Nineteenth-century equivalents. Most post-war tenements were built of either concrete or rough-cast and terrazzo-faced brick, rather than being of traditional stone construction. Terrazzo facings are made by setting marble chips into cement and then polishing the surface smooth. Castlemilk Drive was built in 1954 by the Glasgow Corporation Housing Department, as part of the vast peripheral housing scheme. This particular tenement had a central entrance doorway leading to two flats of three or four apartments on each floor. The exterior is covered in terrazzo-faced brick. Each flat has two bedrooms, a living room, bathroom and a kitchen. By 1998 most of the houses Birgidale Road, Castlemilk were unoccupied. Although the area had its share of youth faciliites there was widespread disaffection among the scheme's younger citizens. Some built dens out of the urban decay. There was a growing sense that the area had to be re-invented. The Cressland Regeneration Project began in 1999. 650 flats in the Castlemilk scheme were demolished and replaced by 126 low level homes for rent. The project was run by Home in Scotland, which became the new landlord, in partnership with Glasgow City Council and the builders Crudens. The demolition of old houses in Castlemilk became a spectacle, almost a spectator sport. The process of regeneration took a long time to get going. But once started it took on its own momentum. New houses, seen on the left, were built and occupied by new tenants, while old houses were still being demolished. The old tenement flats in Castlemilk and many other parts of Glasgow were small and cramped. It was very difficult for members of large families to find any privacy or personal space. A few of the new houses are quite large. The modern design makes good use of space and there is room for all the family to find quiet space for themselves when they need to. 'Homes for the Future' was a flagship element in Glasgow's programme for its 1999 City of Architecture and Design. The central block in a complex looking south over Glasgow Green. It consisted of 24 apartments and penthouses of the highest quality. Each flat has a balcony or a garden space, the balconies providing a particularly lively, highly-modelled south elevation: kitchen/living/dining spaces are located here to maximise the views and sunshine. Part of the Glasgow 'Homes for the Future' project, the client, the Burrell Company, sought a building that would address the pedestrian entrance to the rear of the site yet make the most of its prominent position at the apex of the inner courtyard triangle'. There are two parts to this building, one linear, the other cranked. Living spaces are lit by large screen windows which make the most of available views, and level changes distinguish between kitchens and living areas. Scotland's first loft conversions appeared in the regeneration Leith, Edinburgh. They consist of two former whisky and tobacco bonds or warehouses, subdivided into some 28 apartments. They retain the existing interior column and beam structures. Purchasers had the choice of buying a shell or a fully-fitted apartment. There were also 'cedar-clad rooftop lovenests'.
Scran ID: 000-000-001-783-L
|© Scran 2015|