The 1960s saw the building of much high-rise housing. This was seen as the best way to rehouse people from the slum areas and to reduce the long waiting lists that had developed in many cities.
Aberdeen began a multi-storey building programme after visits by its Housing Committee to schemes in Roehampton and Glasgow in 1959. The Gallowgate II development was built in 1964. The site includes one 19-storeyed slab block containing 126 flats (Seamount Court), and one 9-storeyed slab block of 72 flats (Porthill Court).This shows the glazed entrance porch to Porthill Court. Above this, a recessed section indicates the position of the lifts and stairs. A grid of concrete beams covers the façade, framing the glass-fronted balconies. Columns at ground-floor level create an open service area below the block.
High-rise housing in Falkirk was designed to house those displaced through slum clearance. The blocks were constructed by bolting together pre-cast sections.This shows the newly completed high-rise flats at Callendar Park, Falkirk. Construction workers are still on the site. To the right are East Bridge Street and the new Callendar Centre. Many high-rise blocks were not a success, although in this case the housing is still popular.
The Red Road flats were built between 1962-9 to accommodate people after widespread demolition of slum housing in Glasgow. The development held 4,700 people over an 8.7 hectare site, the same as a small town. The site contained six 31-storeyed tower blocks with 720 flats; two 27-storeyed slab blocks; and one 3-storeyed block. The blocks were declared unfit for habitation in 1980, and have since been converted to other uses.This shows the tower blocks, grouped together above low-rise housing (left). At the time of construction, these structures were the tallest residential blocks in Europe.
The Whitfield development in Dundee was constructed between 1967 and 1972. It consists of two 16-storeyed blocks, low flats, cottages, and 130 deck access blocks arranged in a hexagonal pattern.This aerial photograph shows the honeycomb-Lattern of hexagonal blocks, with new developments taking place. Some areas have either been demolished or refurbished, to create private sector homes for sale or rent. The circular areas are for drying clothes.The linked blocks were built using the 'Skarne' composite system, which used both pre-fabricated panels and sections made on site.
Not all new housing was high rise.This is a view of new housing being built in the Abbeyhill area of Edinburgh in 1968. The houses in the foreground are terraced 2-storey buildings more akin to cottages.
New Towns became a feature of the 1960s. By this time it was recognised that where large amounts of new housing was built, other facilities were also required.
Cumbernauld New Town was built between 1959 and 1974. The first areas of housing were built close to the Town Centre building, which housed shops, administration offices, parking and flats in a single complex. The Seafar area housing consists of two-storeyed houses built 1960-2, with single-Litched roofs, irregularly positioned on a sloping site.This shows several terraced houses constructed from brick and then rendered and painted. A walkway leads to further housing down the steep site. 147 terraced houses were built on the hilltop site. Landscaped areas were created around the houses.
Seafar 2 Housing Area, Cumbernauld New Town Development
Planning for new towns included community buildings such as schools, shops and churches. St Columba's Parish Church, parochial centre and manse, was built in the New Town of Glenrothes in 1960. The building's plan is based on that of the nearby Burntisland church and features a centrally placed altar, pulpit and font with choir and organ behind.This side of the building has a canopy sheltering the path to the main entrance (left), with the tall steel bell-tower above. To the right the building opens out into a large main hall with harled walls and wood-panelled upper 'drum'.